Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - HID bulbs

Thread: HID bulbs
View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 27th January 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by owenfackrell View Post
I have a laguna II privilege with the xenon headlights. Mine seem to be dull in the middle of the light patch ( if that makes any sense). The light at the bottom and top seem fine.
I decied to have a look at one of the bulbs and after getting it out i discovered that where the arc is formed that there is a yellow blotch on one side of it. Having never had these type of lights before is this common?

I have tried to take a picture of it but its hard to get the camara to focus on it.
As well as xenon gas these bulbs also have small quantities on salts (not sodium chloride but similar compounds) and mercury. When cold these salts solidify and may cause the yellow patches.

These bulbs work by first producing an electric arc in the xenon. This gives an immedaite light but not in a particular efficient way. The arc quickly vapourises the salts and it is this gas that then gives the notable colour of these lamps.
Xenon gives quite a white light but the salts give a distinctive blue colour.

Back to your problem. My xenons do have more illumination at the top which seems to act to illuminate the long distance better. How do you notice the variation in illumination?

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome