Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Is GPS speed more reliable that speedo?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 28th January 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Tiggerz_SRi View Post
I'd trust the GPS speed.

Legally speedo's can be upto 10% out. Thats why the police HAVE to give 10% off before a ticket Most do 10%+3mph though.
Sorry, but they don't have to let you off with 10% at all. It's part of the ACPO guidelines (as I recall, 10%+1mph is okay, at 10%+2 they should issue a ticket) but they ignore ACPO guidelines left right and centre anyway.

Someone I once knew received a ticket for 31mph in a 30. I can only assume that the copper didn't like the look of him or wasn't happy with his attitude. He was doubly peeved as he'd been stopped the previous week for driving too slowly, at 29mph in a 30. Or so he reckoned.

A few years back, when Greater Manchester Police briefly tinkered with 'zero tolerance', a friend of mine done for 75 in a 70 on the M61.

Both of the above accepted fixed penalty notices. I'm told that if you take such a ticket to court (one that contravenes ACPO guidelines) the magistrate is liable to chuck the case out immediately. But it's a question of whether or not you're brave enough to try it.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome