Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rear Door Lock Replacement*with pictures*

View Single Post
post #19 of (permalink) Old 28th January 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
big help

Originally Posted by Harrys View Post
Following Goodwood's advice I got mine open, but then realised there is an easier way, ie without removing the solenoid. Encl some pics to show the way.

There is a slot in the visible face of the lock, [see orange arrow in pic 1] where you can see the swinging catch plate (that catches the peg on the doorframe), and also see the latch that holds it. What we need to do is lift the latch, and the door opens. However the slot is largely hidden and not obvious. (unless you remove the lock-motor and white plastic shield, which you do not need to do).

The Wire:
To open the door without removing the lock motor and white polythene shield you need a special wire tool to spring the lock. However Renault have thoughtfully provided one with your car. Use the wire that connects the lock to the remote door catch! Unclip the end and remove it from the lock. You need to use the other end, with the dog-leg double bend

Where to put the wire:
Holding the wire so that the cranked end has the crank vertically down, you have to get the peg end into the start of the slot.
At the back corner of what you can see of the lock, level with the top of the lock motor, there is a 4mm hole [orange arrow head in 1st pic]. Use this as marker for the start of the slot, which is about 10mm outboard (left on the RH door) of this hole.
You can just see the hole in the middle of the last pic.
The peg end of your wire has to get in this slot, pushing in the wire until the dog-leg is against the lock surface. Then rotate (twist) the wire so the end pushes toward the door skin, (clockwise on an RH door) this will only need about 30 degrees, and negligible force. It is not quite straightforward as you have to catch a small edge, but a little wiggling will soon find it and open the door. It helps to hold the wire as straight along the carís axis as possible, ideally going near the half-moon cut-out in the white plastic shield.
had same problem with wifes 99 scenic ,your post saved me a lot of hassle ,now i ll just have to source a replacement lock ,great pictures wouldn t have got door open without looking at your post cheers andy:
Currently in andyfsk's garage:
s reg scenic 1.6e
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome