Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Another Scenic coil tale

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th January 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Another Scenic coil tale

I joined this site to find out about coils .

I have a 2003 Scenic

My first one went under warranty and I was amazed that the RAC man carried spares for them on his van. Of couse now I know why!

When the breakdown man came yesterday his first words were " Coil on nuber 3" This was before even switching on the engine. He confirmed his diagnosis with a thing he plugged in to the fusebox area.

Today for 31.50I bought a new coil and though I have very little mechanical skill fitted the coil to number 3. When this didn't work I did what I should have done first and tried sequentially removing the leads. It proved to be number 1 and the car works fine for now.

So my thoughts are that its easy to it yourself but it took me longer to put the plastic cover back on the top than to do the job! Maybe its me.

Is the breakdown man right that no 3 is the one that always goes wrong? Why? And why even with his gizmo (which he told me had saved me 20) was he wron about which cylinder was misfiring?

Currently in Divad's garage:
2003 Scenic
  5 Lastest Threads by Divad
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Another Scenic coil tale Electronics ottoman 1 741 28th January 2008 04:14 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome