Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 57 plate clio campus brake issues help please

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th April 2016 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
57 plate clio campus brake issues help please

Hi totally new yo this forum. I've got a 57 plate clio campus and had it for the past 8 years and up to now its been a fantastic car. Basically I had a minor bump 5 to 10 mph damage to the front off side was scuff on the bumper, damaged headlight and a slight dint in the bonnet. After the bump the ABS warning light came on then went off again but then came on again and I noticed a very slight knocking on the brakes. The insurance said that the ABS wheel was severely worn and cracked and the brake pads and discs were also severely worn and this was the cause of the issue with the brakes but they wouldn't replace either as they felt the damage was not caused by the bump. This is going through the ombudsman.

With it being the brakes I had them replaced by a mate to save some cash thinking the knocking noise would go. I knew the ABS sensor had gone and was told it was fine provided I allowed extra braking distance if needed. When the pads and discs were replaced the knocking noise seemed to get louder so I took it to a garage. They have replaced the sensor and taken a look at the new brakes and say everything looks fine but the knocking sound was still there. They said they thought it was the drive shaft and so I had it replaced but again the knocking noise is still there.

They say they are at a bit of a loss so I wondered if anyone on here might be able to point me in the right direction (I know its difficult without seeing the car sorry)

The pads and discs used were eichers from euro car parts (cheap I know but I figured they would probably just last less time than the more expensive ones). We did notice that the little metal retaining clips on the calipers weren't a great fit but they went back on the same way they had come off.

The knocking only happens when travelling forwards and the faster you go the faster the knocking sounds. It doesn't happen in reverse. The knocking sounds significantly louder when at low speeds but when there is some heat in the brakes the noise go's away.

The garage have said that there is no issue with the bearings, ball joints etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  5 Lastest Threads by Amorz13
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
57 plate clio campus brake issues help please Brakes/Hubs Amorz13 0 139 4th April 2016 06:42 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome