Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - RX4 Fuel Consumption

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 29th January 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I would try.....

Before parting with hard earned cash on any changes to the car I would try to establish a reliable test journey over which you can say within reason what mpg you normally obtain. Do this without changing anything on the car or the way you drive. The on board computer should be a reliable enough measure but try to ensure that everything about the journey is the same. IE always drive as per normal, always starting from cold - or not, always same number of passengers and fuel from same source etc. Note if starting from cold make sure you always get underway in same time after starting engine and note at what point on the journey the temperature guage gets up to normal.
Once you have your repeatable baseline I would suggest that you try modifying your driving style to see what improvement you can cause to the mpg. Lets say that you change up through the box at perhaps 2000 rpm and avoid exceeding 3000 rpm in top. Also all the other tips given earlier. This should bring forth an improvement and you can then decide whether the new style of driving is worth the benefit in lower fuel consumption.
Then if you want better you can ensure that the air filter is clean, plugs are renewed etc as part of the next service. Also go for a higher tech oil that will give excellent lubrication with lower cold drag.

I am a new rx4 owner with similar views on the fuel consumption so I intend to do likewise, once I have swapped the propshaft. I may have an advantage in living in rural France where the roads are empty and it is much easier to develop the repeatable journey. Also empty roads enable better mpg to be obtained.
Currently in keith.bailey's garage:
2001 Scenic RX4 Petrol + Pug 405 for when it fails
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome