Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio commuting hell.

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 30th January 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to root-two
Originally Posted by mrtotty View Post
Hell's bells, 180 miles per day. That is going some. I thought my daily round trip of 60 miles was long.
Mileage like that is going to put a certain amount of strain on an older Clio. If you don't want to get a job closer to home, I would get the cheapest diesel Clio I could, either new or a year old, and use that. I use a 2005 dCi 80, and find it ideal.
I'd go with that - I don't really think the Clio is cut out to be used on long-distance drives on a very regular basis. I've done a couple of monster trips in mine (of the order of 6-700 miles) and been up to see my parents a fair few times (about 180 miles round trip) and would *not* want to do something like that on a regular basis in my current car - I'd want something with a bit more poke, especially for motorway driving.

Another thing with older petrol Clios is that the fuel economy really isn't up to snuff when you compare it with newer models - I'm lucky to get around 42mpg out of mine on motorway trips, and that's using good quality petrol and driving sensibly.

I'd second the recommendation of a dCi - someone at work has one (a 1.5 I think) and I took it for a short spin and was very impressed by it - nice car to drive, good handling and economical too.

"No performance at all is vastly preferable to an obscene travesty" - Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji
Currently in root-two's garage:
1999 Clio 1.2RN Grande (D7F)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome