Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

View Single Post
post #140 of (permalink) Old 11th April 2016
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Clio - Starting Problems - A solution???

I have tried every solution to this intermittent failure to start on our Clio mk2 1.4 16v without success. The car will perform admirably for several days, then, without any warning, will fail to fire up, even though the starter turns at full speed.

Eventually, sometimes after trying all the recommended tricks with the key and sometimes with no tricks at all, the engine fires and runs perfectly.

I have succeeded in connecting my laptop to the car and can obtain a running log, which shows most readings, such as rpm, oxygen sensor, temperature etc, in real time, but no fault code shows up, even when I disconnected the MAP sensor to prompt the ecu into logging a PID.

I do not have a spare key.

I have been in contact with Ian, at who has been very generous with his time in replying with many suggestions. I would like to thank him and, should anyone need an immobiliser bypass, he is the one to go to.

Unfortunately (?) my red disc LED immobiliser light on the dash is not flashing when the key is inserted or turned, which suggests that my problem is caused by something else, otherwise I should not hesitate to fit a bypass.

My nearest Renault franchise is 15 miles distant and, besides, is not confident of finding any cause within an affordable time (60per hour!) They say that the chances of finding an intermittent fault while the diagnostic system is connected are, understandably, not great.

My only hopes of curing this are finding, either, someone on this forum who has found and remedied a cause not yet recorded on the forum, so far, or finding an independent garage, with Renault capability, who has done the same.

So far, I have:

* checked all visible connections, except the Lambda sensors underneath the vehicle. (I shall do this next, but don't hold much hope of finding a loose wire.)

* removed and tested all relays in the fuse box under the bonnet.

*removed, cleaned and replaced the crankshaft sensor and found both it and its connections to be perfect.

* disconnected the non standard Sony radio.

* tried all the key tricks, including leaving the ignition on for ten to twenty minutes.

The car often starts after any of these procedures, leading me to believe that they have worked, until it fails the next time. It even "responded" to squirting WD40 on all visible connections, for a while.

if someone can help and I can cure the problem, I shall take care to record everything I learn, on the forum, for the benefit of others.

Members of my family are becoming exasperated and are looking to buy another (second hand, old) car. Are we just going to buy yet another set of problems? Or are there used vehicles out there which are less likely to be so temperamental or difficult to diagnose with generic OBD equipment?
Currently in stormcoat's garage:
renault clio 3 1.5dci
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome