Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #833 of (permalink) Old 31st January 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by faye0310 View Post
k thanks, the assessor from the insurance is going to have a look at the car tomorrow so i'll see what they say and then speak to renault and send a letter. i cant beleive how many people it has happened to, somebody will end up being killed eventually!!
Hello Faye. Welcome to the forum (as Brutus said to Caesar). Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Please let Brigatti and Michelle know that this is still happening. They are the ones who have carried this complaint the furthest both with Renault and with DVLA's VOSA. Their posts are further up this thread so you should be able to contact them without too much effort. Brigatti has his own website so that will be more direct. It has been said by others that Renault did not write to them to "invite" them for a free check of the bonnet-locking mechanism, so you aren't alone in that.

Can you please get some photos taken of the latches? This is very important. You can upload them to this forum and we can see the condition of the hardware then.

Can I ask you if you had heard of this problem at any stage either from this forum, from BBC Watchdog, or any other sources at all?

Also, had any maintenance been done to the latch at any time be it by a garage or yourself? Did you open the bonnet recently and is there any chance that you didn't shut it properly?

Were there any deformities on the edge of your bonnet before this happened?

Please keep us informed on what is going on and be sure to keep copies of all correspondence with Renault, VOSA etc. Get written independent views if you are not satisfied with Renault's assessment (they will probably repeat what they told everybody else i.e. that you didn't shut it as they say in the manual). You should record conversations you have with them if you can or confirm by means of email or letter what has been said (as in,"This is to confirm that during our conversation, you stated that blah, blah blah") and if they don't deny saying it straight away any court will accept that that is what was said.

You can try and sue them for your uninsured losses (300 excess payment) and distress caused by such a frightening experience. If that were me, I would be suing them for new underwear too. I think I would have been that scared.

About someone getting killed sooner or later, I have drawn the attention to this even to VOSA when I first contacted them as an innocent road user in danger of being rammed by an unseeing driver experiencing this failure. We have read elsewhere that this has already happened in South Africa where one lady died and one was very seriously injured. I believe this was mentioned in a BBC piece about the subject.

Best wishes and be safe.

Confucius he say "Wise Inuit never eats yellow snow"
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome