Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hands-free Laguna forgets to lock itself

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10th March 2006 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanks for all the input, guys.

I might try swapping the cards, but that means that wifey ends up with the potentially dodgy one, and she's less likely to remember to check than I am. I'll give a new battery a go, though I can't see a low battery being the cause of the problem - I assume that, if they have any sense (a biggy with Renault, I know, but I'm having a leap of faith here) once you exit the car and close the door, the car will keep polling the card and will lock when it no longer receives a response. If anything, a low battery in the remote should cause the car to lock rather than remain unlocked.

In both cases, the doors were definitely properly shut. The first time around, I had opened and closed the boot only - I checked it and it was latched. Yesterday, it was the driver's door only, and it was obviously flush with the rest of the bodywork.

I'm now wondering just how many times it has actually done this. I used to just grab the handle and pull, but occasionally the central locking doesn't react quickly enough, so I'd end up tugging on a locked handle or (even more annoying) opening the door and setting the alarm off. So I've now got into the habit of deliberately breaking the beam and listening for the locking solenoids before opening the door. So the car has probably been leaving itself unlocked for ages, and I've never noticed.

As with most intermittent faults, I'm sure it'll pass with flying colours if I ask the dealer to look at it. It's probably one of those 'quirks' that I'll have to live with for the duration that I have the car (like the sat-nav on my last car crashing and refusing to come back on unless you left the engine switched off for several hours.)

The Megane system sounds to be not quite as convenient but considerably safer (you get to see the car lock each and every time.) Once again, a case of Renault getting a bit too clever for themselves, I think.

Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome