Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Key programming

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 1st February 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Well, I booked my Clio in to the local main Renault dealer and asked if they could program my spare key into the ECU as it had stopped working. This key was actually the one off Ebay , which looked exactly the same as the main key. I had replaced the blade so it would open the doors and turn the ignition on - but that was all. Obviously I did not tell them the true origins of the key! They said they could code the spare key into the immobiliser and would charge 50. After an hour at the dealer they said their computer showed this key had already been coded to another car and therefore would be unable to code it to my car. They were adamant there was no override available on their computer and the only option was to purchase a new key fob. They insisted I pay the 50 anyway for the diagnostics to which I objected. They quoted a price of 171 for a new key!! Having spent too much time on this already I decided to go with the new key fob option and negotiated an all in price of 150. Yes, I know it's ridiculous but I was fed up with the whole thing. Technically I believe they could have coded the key off Ebay , but they don't under the guise of preserving their overall car key security. Oh and of course it increases their profits!!!!!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome