Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna - Keycard

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 3rd February 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thumbs down Laguna Key cards

If your keycard rattles, it is odds on that one of the switches has broken off of thr printed citcuit board.

The circuit board is really thin and flexible and the switches are relatively large for a surface-mount component (one without pins that pass through the board and solder on the reverse). If the key card is flexed (this can happen hust by sitting down with it in a trouser pocket) the solder joints on the upper face of the card break and the switch falls off. This what you can hear rattling.

If you know someone who is good at soldering, you can repair the card BUT BE CAREFUL!!! The two halves of the case are either glued or welded around the edge. This joint needs to be cut apart without damaging the circuit board inside. There is a particularly strong joint around the battery slot. I used a small craft knife and a small screwdriver (to lever the case open).
As I didn't know what the innards of the card looked like, I accidentally cut a component off the corner of the board. Make sure that the blade doesn't penetrate more than 5mm in from the edge as you separate the case, especially going around the top corners.

By the way, my local Renault dealer quoted 150 each to replace and program a key card (this is nothing compared with the standard Renault charge of 1100 to change the timing belt!).
Currently in v6driver's garage:
2001 3 litre Laguna v6 Initiale
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome