Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane 1 with K4J engine. Whistling from front of the car

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 20th April 2016 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Megane 1 with K4J engine. Whistling from front of the car

My Megane 1 is performing and looking very well, but there is an annoying whistling sound from the front.

It is a resonance (always same pitch, but varying intensity). The sound is not really dependent of speed but it is only heard clearly with the car moving and peeks at some 2500-3000 RPM.

I am not sure whether it is a part that vibrates or if it is air that produces the sound (app. 1000 Hz).

The recirkulation flap made the well known banging noises so I have disconnected the plug for its motor. I do not know in what position the plap is now.Could it be the plap vibrating?

The air intake hose has been patched with duct tape as I have seen on several other cars of this model. Could the problem be an air-leak in this area?

The hose leads the air to a resonance damper box before it enters the air filter. I have never heard of such a box before. What is its purpose and could this be where the whistle comes from.

Could it be its rubber gasket that has been fitted incorrect (or missing)?

Apparently the car must be moving for the sound to be heard clearly.

Trying to locate the source by revving the engine with the bonnet open is not helpful. Other noises are louder.

With the car standing still the sound can sometimes be heard (but not loud) from the drivers seat when revving the engine to 2500 RPM

Could the sound come from under the facia rather than from the engine compartment?

I don't know where the sound comes from but I can't believe that I'm the only one to experience this problem.

Please help me before the whistle drives me mad!
Currently in electrondk's garage:
1999 Megane 1, 1.4 16V
  5 Lastest Threads by electrondk
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Editing posts General Chat Nottnoc 1 57 3rd October 2016 08:28 AM
Hazard warning switch. Removing contacts from... Electronics electrondk 2 127 6th September 2016 09:31 AM
Megane 1 with K4J engine. Whistling from front of... Bodywork electrondk 1 315 20th April 2016 08:35 AM
Locating of Ground points Megane 1 Ph2 Electronics electrondk 4 243 19th April 2016 08:27 AM
Hello from Denmark Welcome to RenaultForums Phil48 3 260 8th January 2016 08:41 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome