Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - MK3 3.0 RXE Auto Z7X : Starter not turning, relays clicking etc.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 3rd February 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question MK3 3.0 RXE Auto Z7X : Starter not turning, relays clicking etc.

Hello all - first post so please be easy on me if I'm in the wrong place.

1997 MK3 Espace 3.0 Auto with Z7X engine (not the 24v version). LPG conversion by Zavoli.

Parked in garage OK, following day, nothing. Immobiliser seems OK, all fuses check OK. Battery fully chargerd.

When I turn key, electronic dash display comes on OK, but relays in the engine bay next to the battery begin clicking, and there's another (quieter) ticking coming from under the engine down near the sump. It my occasionally show the zig-zag ignition fault symbol, or the battery one, but the ticking and clicking never stops.

When I try to start, there is no attempt by the car to turn the starter motor, but the twin cooling fans behind the radiator come on instead!

I have tried jump starting and a second battery, with no effect. The battery and/or fuses and immobiliser circuits don't seem to be the problem, but it very much would appear to be an electrical fault.

Does anyone out there have any ideas? Could it be a stuck starter? I can't bump it as it's automatic.

Any and all help very greatly appreciated.

Currently in inspector-gadget's garage:
1997 MK3 Espace 3.0 RXE Auto with LPG conversion
  5 Lastest Threads by inspector-gadget
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
MK3 3.0 RXE Auto Z7X : Starter not turning,... Electronics stef123 5 1445 3rd February 2008 05:54 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome