Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace - Just bought one

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 4th February 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I am not a happy chap!

Got new thermostat tried to fit on Saturday and wrong size . Ordered the new one. Tested the old one but noticed it had some holes in it, however it opened in boiling water so I decided to have ago flushing the system.

Not much success

Tonight after work I reverse flushed the system then fitted the new thermostat. Left to tick over and eventually had 4 bars on the temperature gauge, but no heat

Went for a drive to check system, car drove ok with a few clunks and clonks from underneath, I hate to think. Anyway without warning the temperature gauge shot up and the warning light and stop light came on. Pulled over and let cool down for a few mins. Drove about a mile and all of a sudden temperature went back down to 4 bars. A few mins later and it shot right up again just as I got home

I am now worried that the cylinder head gasket has gone, noticed a very small amount of mayo on filler cap. Thinking of taking it to an independent Renault garage to let them test and sort it.

What sort of price do you think I maybe expecting for the following work.

1 Pressure test system and flush (I hope)
2 Replace cylinder head and timing belts (good idea to do this at the same time?)
Currently in bigandyd's garage:
Renault Laguna Privilege DCI

Last edited by bigandyd; 4th February 2008 at 07:28 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome