Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - anybody used parrot car audio equipment

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11th March 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I stuck one in the Clio (I documented it and stuck photos in the 'how to' section if anyone's interested.)

I'll second what Nick says - it's an excellent piece of kit. We went for the CK3000 Evolution, which came in at around the 60 quid mark (RRP was about 80 though, with lots of places still selling it at around that price.)

The CK3000 doesn't come with a keypad or display. Instead, it relies on voice commands. On the original Clio install, it performed flawlessly, but since transplanting it, it's been a little bit iffy on the voice recognition. It may just be down to accoustics (I've mounted the mic differently) and I keep meaning to do a factory reset and re-program it to see if that helps.

Caller ID on the non-display models operates by telling you who's calling (in your own recorded voice) through the car's speakers. Obviously, if the number isn't one you have programmed in, you can't use that. If you need to, you can still dial a number from the phone's keypad or (in most cases, I'm sure) use caller display on the phone. You'd need to put the phone on a cheap dash mount in order not to fall foul of the law if you wanted to dial while driving though.

Overall, the Parrot kit performs better than the phone side of the Renault NavCom system in the Laguna, especially when it comes to the voice recognition side. If that's not an endorsement of it, then I don't know what is. I'd wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone - they're a doddle to install (around half an hour with the right tools) and they work really well. The only pitfall (and this applies to Bluetooth handsfree in general) is that the kit can't charge your phone. This may seem insignificant at first, but if you're used to having a wired hands-free that you use every day, you probably got out of the habit of ever putting your phone on charge. It's a bit of a culture shock having to actually plug my Nokia into the mains adapter every couple of days. Several months down the line, I'm still forgetting, and often end up with a flat battery.

I'm not sure about the Rhythm 'n' Blue stereo. The specs look pretty decent, but I suppose you'd have to listen to one to decide whether or not the ICE functionality was up to scratch.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome