Join Date: May 2016
Nominated 5 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Advice on buying a used Espace
Complete newbie here. I currently drive a Fabia but for various reasons want/need something bigger, safer and more comfortable.. the Skoda kills my legs and back after about half an hour.
I'm quite keen on the Espace IV (2003-12 model). I've ridden in a few and appreciated the comfort and the extras available (absolutely love the panoramic sunroof), so I've got a bit of a soft spot for them. However, I am aware that this model has had its fair share of problems.
So, I wondered if anyone could help me with a few questions:
1. Simply, is it possible to get a good used example?
My budget is relatively small at the moment, though that will hopefully change in the next few months as I'm changing job. I don't want to have to spent thousands a year to keep it on the road, ideally.
2. Which engines are best, and which are to be avoided?
I seem to have picked up that the 2.2dci is usually problematic. I'd be going 100% manual whatever I bought so the gearbox issues with the automatics not a problem.
3. What else should I be looking for/wary of?
I've always been told that diesels are better high-milers, so that would normally be my first port of call, but I'd also like to avoid potential DPF issues if possible so probably pre-2007 models?
4. Was the panoramic sunroof part of the spec of one particular trim level or model?
5. What do the usual consumables like tyres, wipers etc cost? I'm assuming it's a fair step up from a Fabia but compared to others in the class?
6. Is the previous model, the Espace III, a better bet on a low budget?
Any general advice also appreciated. I've done some googling but it mainly seems to be 'Great for driving in France' or 'Parents had one. It broke' - neither of which answer my questions!
Currently in alessio's garage:
Fabia 1.9SDI but looking for a change...