Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio Mk4 Front Pads difficulties?

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11th May 2016
Platinum member
Nominated 14 Times in 13 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,396 Posts
Re: Clio Mk4 Front Pads difficulties?

Originally Posted by laticsforlife View Post
It was more the getting the caliper back on after installing the new pads, which normally involves manhandling the pistons back into their housings whilst keeping a keen eye on the ever-rising brake fluid reservoir.

Guess I'll just have to give it a crack and see how it goes.

Pads & discs quote from Renault was 220+ (LOL); got the pads on same-day delivery from Euro for 13 and I'm hanging fire on the discs for a week or 2 but these can be had for about 32 from eBay .

I'd bet Renault could do the job in 30 minutes (it'll take me at least twice that as I don't have a ramp and all the best tools), so they are essentially charging 175 for labour.
I'm pretty picky when it comes to pads and it doesn't warrant using ebay cheapo ones [you did not give the make ] I go for the EBC untimax or black stuff as they are often known ..quick bedding in and instant braking from the word go due to the coating they put on their pads..

Originally Posted by Dancingdad View Post
Many people recommend cracking the bleed nipples open and letting the fluid escape that way when pushing pistons back.
Saves any chance of backpressure on seals that may not like it.
Probably need to bleed and maybe top up afterwards but I've found need to bleed on every pad change I've done on my Scenic. With or without cracking the bleed nipple when pushing back.

If not changing discs, you will find likely find significant power loss on brakes while the new pads bed in.
Be wary and keep decent stopping distance.
Could be a few hundred miles depending on wear pattern on old discs.
Fair enough when you say crack open a nipple when you push back a piston because it can affect the ABS sensors..but I always clamp the brake hose when doing that so you get minimal brake bleeding afterwards..I'm sure you meant to say that and its was just a slip on the key board..
Currently in Phil48's garage:
There is nothing in my garage now..
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome