Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Megane - Disconnecting Battery To Change Bulb

7K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  GrahamRounce 
#1 ·
Hi - Hope this is the correct forum for the slightly dim - talking of which.... I need to replace a headlight bulb. Do I really need to disconnect the battery lead as it says in the Haynes book? Or can I just go ahead & change it and not have to faff about re-entering the radio code afterwards?

Thanks,
Graham Rounce

#2 · (Edited)
Ive changed many a headlight bulb and have never disconnected the battery. Now if you car had Xenon headlights, then it would be wise to do so, due to the high voltages that the ballast unit produces.

Just make sure you havent left the ignition or the lights switched on and you will be fine Im sure.

The next problem will be getting at the bulbs no doubt !

#8 ·
The haynes manual tends to err on the side of caution when it comes to working on a car - just in case someone tries to sue them if they get hurt or the car goes on fire. When working with modern elctronics in cars there is also the risk of a voltage spike - so they are keeping their back covered:)

#10 ·
When changing xenons remove the relevant fuse and let it sit for at least 30 minutes - to allow the ballasts time to discharge. One of the golden rules when working with electrics (whether mains or a car) is to put the fuse in you pocket and then no other person can accidently (or deliberately) switch it on. Undischarged xenons can disharge many thousands of volts which won't do your ticker any good:)

#11 ·
If you do disconnect the battery I've seen on here that it's prudent to switch on the headlights before disconnecting/reconnecting it as this will avoid potential voltage spikes which in some car's has damaged the dashboard display. :)

I never bother disconnecting the battery - for messing about with the radio I take the fuse out though.

#13 ·
Hi again - I'm only dumb the first time! When I know what I'm doing, I'm ok... Anyway, that went without a hitch... just that it didn't say "Anti-UV" anywhere on the new bulb or its box. Can I just assume that they all are? Or would it be better to try & find one that actually says it and swap them asap?

Thanks again!

Graham Rounce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.