Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane Parking / Hand Brake Cable Problem

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 16th May 2016 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Megane Parking / Hand Brake Cable Problem

On Friday, my handbrake decided it would barely hold the car - the lever suddenly felt really loose so I assumed that the cable had snapped on one side. The brake was just about holding the car right at the end of the physical travel of the lever, so I thought I'd get it sorted out after the weekend as I had a wedding to attend to.

On Saturday, the handbrake totally let go - the lever was loose and had absolutely no effect on holding the car. I though it was a bit strange for both cables to snap suddenly, so I pulled the ends of the cables at both calipers and sure enough they felt like they had snapped in the middle.

I opened the cover by the armrest to expose the adjusting nut and realised that the cables were still intact, but had somehow worked themselves free from the "yoke" that both cables are attached to.

I put the cables back into place and the handbrakes worked fine today, but after a couple of uses, the near side cable has come out again. I'm assuming I need to replace the adjusting mechanism, although I have a feeling that Renault will be keen to sell the whole handbrake mechanism.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can these parts be bought separately?

On a side note, the near side cable seems to be a little shorter so the adjusting mechanism / yoke is not 90 degrees to the adjusting rod. Is this normal, or is this the reason for the cable slipping out on the near side? There is a bit of slack on the adjusting rod when the handbrake is fully off.
Currently in TazzyK's garage:
Renault Clio 1.4 16v Privilege (2004), Renault Megane 1.5 dCi 106 Expression (2005), Volkswagon Passat 2.0 TDi S (2006), Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic Lusso (2008)
  5 Lastest Threads by TazzyK
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Service Observations - Clio II Engines ours2012 5 271 24th May 2016 08:33 PM
Megane Parking / Hand Brake Cable Problem Brakes/Hubs ours2012 6 394 16th May 2016 08:57 PM
Weird Window Problem (Megane II) Electronics TazzyK 4 271 7th May 2016 05:14 PM
Megane II Door Pocket / Box Lid Broken Interiors TazzyK 0 334 4th December 2015 12:57 PM
CV Joint / Driveshaft Or Something Else? Transmissions flying clutchman 3 359 17th November 2015 07:14 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome