Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio I - Bodywork - Fitting aftermarket Central locking

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 12th February 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by mulac321 View Post
i fitted central locking to my 1999 clio a few weeks ago, i got a kit from maplins for about 20 a few months back that is a universal solution.

the kit included 2 master solonoids 2 slave solonoids, a control unit, a wiring loom, linkage rods and varrious fittings

there was not alot of spare room in my doors so it took a while to find the ideal mounting place, i had to drille 2 holes in the actual inner door metal to mount the solonoids once the solonoids are mounted u have to bend the linkage rods and clamp them to the original locking rods this is tricky aswell as the orignal rods are fairly welll coverd.

now the wirring loom needs to be routed through the doors into the cars i kinda bodged this bit as i was a bit fed. there were two wires running into my doors for the speekers this plugged into the door frame i cut the plug out and feeded the wires through the rubber sleave however you could just add the wires to the plugs if u have patiance.

i put the control box under the central console and stuffed the wires as out of the way as possible. by this point it had tacken several hours and i was realy fed up. after playing with my fuse box with a mutly meter i just decided to run the supply for the central locking from the stereo supply so i cut the original cable and used terminal blocks to join the 3 wires together.

im pleased i have central locking but it was quite a big job and im not sure if it was worth doing. and there are alot of wires running across my car under my pedals!
I did this with a kit from ebay for about the same price in my 96 clio. Did it more or less the same way only instead I put the cable through the door where the speaker wires/electrics go through (although there wernt any wires there to begin with - I put electric windows in after though) and then took the dashboard off and cable tied the wires to others that were in there an then fed through to the battery and connected straight to the battery.
Currently in henners38's garage:
Clio RL 1.2
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome