Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2002 Laguna 1.6 Dynamque - Problems

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12th February 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
2002 Laguna 1.6 Dynamque - Problems

Hello Guys

Stumbled across this site whilst disparately looking for yet another cure for the most unreliable car I've ever owned!

My story is a long twisted and sad one. I now live and work in Holland but I've left behind in St Lucia what's got to be on of my biggest mistakes in car choice. A lemon which I am finding impossible to sell.

Shortly after relocating to the island in 2005 I visited the UK for a few days on the look out for a family car. I spotted an amazingly handsome 2002 Renault Laguna 1.6 Dynamique at what I felt was a bargain price. I reviewed the car in the Parkers guide, and with no major issues made the purchase the next day, and had the car shipped to St Lucia the day after that.

First alarm bells sounded as I hit the motorway on leaving the showroom, when I observed billowing smoke from one of my rear wheels. I immediately returned and was reassured that the problem was as a result of the newly fitted brake pads, and to be honest the brakes have since functioned with no further drama.

However once in St Lucia, I realized how underpowered the 1.6 model is and the A/C is barely adequate for our hot climate. This car is outperformed by all 10 year old 1.3 Toyota Corollas and Nissan Sunny's.

A loud clunking sound emits from the rear suspension (not the shocks) which I later found out to be failed suspension bushings (a common problem) and the tyre pressure sensors are constantly flashing.

More disturbingly, the car has become more and more difficult to start, especially when hot and when it does eventually start after 10-15 mins it goes into "limp home" mode.

The driver door window now only moves in 2 inch increments requiring me to press the button some 10 times before fully opening or closing it.

The hood cable and release handle have snapped and that's a dashboard removal job to repair.

What concerns me most are the hot starting problem. If only I could get that sorted them I might get a chance at selling it

Currently in Gepito's garage:
2001 Nissan Skyline GTt, 2005 Laguna2 1.9 dCi & 2003 Laguna II (when it works)
  5 Lastest Threads by Gepito
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Automatic headlamp Electronics TazzyK 3 957 21st April 2012 07:07 PM
Laguna 2 Light switch stalk Electronics mord 1 789 14th March 2012 03:36 PM
Parking lights & automatic headlamps Electronics Gepito 4 4234 20th February 2012 08:48 AM
Can you stop the alarm from sounding the horn? Electronics Djgaz 1 910 7th February 2012 02:11 PM
Laguna: Ready to love again..... Cars & motoring Gepito 2 1357 29th December 2011 10:15 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome