Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane immobilisor / Starting problems

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 13th March 2006
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hello, I'm a newbie here, first post.

I'm having a problem similar to Annette's. My 97 Megane is becoming more and more tempermental. Sometimes it starts, sometimes nothing happens at all when I turn the ignition key. The light for the immobiliser goes off (normal). The headlights work fine and all other features seem to be ok. I have an automatic so the gear lever needs to be in P or N to start the car. I have tried moving the lever backwards and forwards but this is not solving the problem. The car eventually starts after waiting an indefinte amount of time - sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes up to 90 minutes!!!
I took the car to Renault and they had it on their forecourt for 3 weeks. They ran a diagnostics test on it and tried to start the car every morning. They were unable to replicate the problem. So they couldnt fix it.
Then I put my thinking cap on. 95% of the times the car hasn't started it has been after I have left my office. My office car park has a whopping big mobile phone mast on the roof. There was no mobile phone mast anywhere near the Renault forecourt. So I have come to the conclusion that this is where the problem lies.
I called back Renault and told them about this and they were aware of such a problem but said they could do anything about it. I asked them to disable/remove the immobiliser. They said this was not possible.
Does anyone have any ideas how I can solve this one as it's really beginning to annoy me and Renault have not been at all helpful.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome