Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane oil pressure light?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th March 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Megane oil pressure light?

The observant among you may recall my earlier postings on this problem, which is proving a real s** to pin down.

It's a 2000/W 1.6 Sport Alize. When accelerating from rest my oil pressure and stop lights flicker a few times then go out again. Eeek!

Having checked the pressure, given it a new pressure switch and then given the sump a clean and new oil and filter, someone gave me the blindingly obvious idea of pulling the wire off the pressure switch then driving it, to see what happened. And lo and behold the light STILL flickers, i.e. it's got nothing to do with the oil pressure at all! It MUST be something shorting in the wiring harness or similar.

Which is nice to know, but doesn't solve the problem. I've tried pushing and pulling at the harness to see if I can make the light flicker but no dice. The only feeble extra clue is that it flickers more easily when turning right than left, so it happens when accelerating forwards and/or to the right. Oh yes, and I guess the fact that it flickers rather than coming on steadily may mean it's close to the engine and responding to the vibrations therein.

Does anyone have any bright ideas for how to locate the problem? Or might a pragmatic approach be better, i.e. disconnect the stock wiring and adding my own bypass wiring for example? Thoughts please!
Currently in Greenmanalishi's garage:
2000 Megane Sport Alize 1600 Auto
  5 Lastest Threads by Greenmanalishi
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Megane oil pressure light? Electronics bonedavid 1 2063 14th March 2006 08:05 AM
Renault Megane - Engines - Megane oil light Megane ghsaunders40 29 13080 12th February 2006 09:16 AM
Renault Megane - Wheels and Tyres - Best tyres? Megane mcouchard 19 16394 28th November 2005 02:17 PM
Renault Megane - Engines - Auto answers? Megane chris m 5 4651 2nd November 2005 01:14 PM
Renault Megane - Engines - Auto problems! Engines chris m 5 2727 1st November 2005 09:13 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome