Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Possible immobilizer issue, 2004 Scenic

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th February 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Possible immobilizer issue, 2004 Scenic

Scenic 2004 1.9Dci Dynamique, 27,000m, hands-free key.

So the missus called me yesterday to say its a non starter. Presses start button, it makes a "dying" noise and then nothing. Message on dash about error with parking brake. Immobilizer light continues to flash. Tries a few times and no joy. I suspect immobilizer. Calls recovery service, they have no joy and recommend fitting a new battery. After work I tear around trying to find a battery. Get one, fit it. Lock car and walk out of zone. Come back to car, unlock, get in. Dash looks normal. Depress clutch&brake, car is in neutral, press start. Engine turns over about 4 times and then cuts. I try a couple more times, no luck. Varous error messages on dash leading me to think Parking Brake message reported by missus was wrong. Leave vehicle, press lock on key, car does not lock. Walk away, come back. Dashboard is lit up like a christmas tree. Cannot turn off. Its as if the car is now no longer recognising the key. After 10 mins the car was in the same state, unlocked and all icons lit on the dash. I decided rather than let the new battery drain overnight to disconnect it.

Anyone know what's happening? Does the immobilizer need a reset after a battery change? Can't see anything in Haynes about it. Car is booked in to local R dealer but if I can sort it myself I'd be very happy. I thought we'd own the car for more than 10 days before it broke down but ha ha. Although aware of the reliability issues we threw caution to the wind, sucked in by the clever features and design and are now in the Renault "club". Hopefully this will be a one-off and we will gradually be converted to the cause... though I'm a masochistic car enthusiast so am actually looking forward to getting the toolbox out after years of trouble-free japanese/german motoring
Currently in grimep's garage:
Focus 1.6TDCi 08, Renault Scenic 1.9dci, 04
  5 Lastest Threads by grimep
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
1.9DCi Scenic II start problems Engines Dancingdad 62 1974 8th March 2016 11:36 AM
Scenic II 1.9DCi fuel filter change Engines biocuitsdad 15 29789 27th January 2010 07:20 PM
2004 1.9 Dynamique electronic alarm on locking Electronics ottoman 3 1029 7th December 2008 10:30 AM
Possible immobilizer issue, 2004 Scenic Electronics grimep 1 1190 14th February 2008 11:08 AM
Which ISOFIX, age 0+, '04 Scenic? Cars & motoring grimep 3 3990 29th January 2008 09:23 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome