Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Odometer switched to Kilometres

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 15th February 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Hi all,

I've read alot of threads on this site about this as it happened to a mate of mine. There is no way of changing it back to miles after it has switched to KM. The only option is to replace the intrument cluster at a cost of about 500.

The reason this happens is because the when the cluster is made it is set at KM at the factory. To be imported into the UK and changed to miles Renault have to fit a chip into the cluster, these are prone to burning out hence the reason it goes back to KM.

Most likley cause for them burning out is disconnecting the battery and reataching, the power surge that results when the batery is reconnected causes this chip to burn out. A way around this is to switch on the sidelights before reconnecting to stop the power spikes.

Sorry I couldn't help more.
Currently in Mikey's garage:
1996 Mazda MX-3 V6, a 2002 1.2 8v Fiat Punto active (the Wife's!) and a 1998 Suzuki GN 125. Used to own a 2002 Laguna II Dynamique 1.8 16V (Now Sold yey!)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome