Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Mégane ll 1.9dCi Problems

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11th August 2005 Thread Starter
Sans Prix
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to Sans Prix
Thanks for that info. guys. I shall trot down to my Renault dealer and tell him that my turbo , like many others, is about to blow. And it surely is! I had the boost pressure checked at our competition workshops and it is about 20% below factory spec. Also the emissions are altering considerably as the turbo comes on boost - oil is obviously making its way through the seals and being burnt .

There is nothing wrong with Garrett turbos - many aircraft have them and you don't hear about engines failing and planes falling out of the sky! Thank God Renault don't build planes - if they did the cost of travel insurance would rocket .

As for the tyres, it would appear that 205/50/17 Contis were originally designed for a new Ford (Scorpio) that never came to fruition. So only Ford bought them ( a moral or legal obligation - I don't know) and stuck them on the Mondeo where they are lasting about a slong as the flavour in a bit of Juicy Fruit chewing gum. As for the application on Mgane lls, I am reliably informed that due to the make up of the rear suspension, they are eaten alive !

The Mgane ll Owners' Club seems to reckon that Kumho ECSTA KH lls are the business and I read in an e-edition of "Auto Bild", one of Germany's leading car mags, that they really do last longer and handle better! It seems that this is also the case on reading Parker's and that excellent French site Histomobile. PlaneteRenault has a fair bit to say too. I suppose that they can't all be wrong can they ?
Currently in Sans Prix's garage:
2003 Mgane ll 1.9dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome