Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How much have you spent on your Renault this year

View Single Post
post #76 of (permalink) Old 16th February 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 2 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Send a message via MSN to Azurael
I don't really begrudge spending money on older cars. I spent 200 having both driveshafts done on my 205 shortly after I got it (if that sounds cheap, it's because I got two for the price of one because my most brilliant local garage realised that they had done the wrong one when the clunk remained and that they would do the other for free!)

I'm going to try and do more maintenance myself on the Lag, though it seems like I've bought the worst car for self-maintaining

Frankly, I figure that I could have spent just as much having a 4-5 year old car fixed as a 10-15 year old one, so if the rest of the car's sound, I don't think it's nonsensical to spend almost as much as a car's worth fixing it, especially once you take into account the time and hassle involved in getting rid of a vehicle that's an MOT failure or suffering some other major mechanical fault, be it scrapping or trying to find somebody to buy it for spares/repair. This is especially true for somebody like me who has nowhere to keep a broken car off the road and thus can only have one vehicle at a time due to insurance/tax constraints.
Currently in Azurael's garage:
TEB64 (Cosmic Grey) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v Privilege Tourer (KG0B F4P-770)/TED44 (Odyssey Blue) 2001 'Y' Laguna II 1.8 16v 'Expressionale' Hatch (BG0B F4P-770)

Last edited by Azurael; 16th February 2008 at 12:42 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome