Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - RX4 Buying Advice

View Single Post
post #54 of (permalink) Old 16th February 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I bought mine a year ago with 75,000 miles on it (2001 plate). A year later with 85,000 miles on it ive had one problem and that was the alternator pulley which came off the shaft. A common fault on renault freewheeling alternator pulleys apparently. The driveshaft problems have been overblown IMO probably by peoples earlier experience of renault dealers insisting that the coupler is not available as a single part and a whole new probshaft is needed for 700. The coupling can be easily replaced and can be souced reasonably cheaply. This ones 63 delivered.

I dont know if mines been replaced before but its in great condition no tears or cracks. I have also heard of a company in coventry that do a fully refurbed prob with bearings, coupler and U/J's for a few hundred quid if you wanted to go the whole hog.

As to reliablity if the 1.9 DCI well ive had a 2002 renault traffic van with the 1.9DCI in and that did over 140,000 miles by the time i swapped it with no engine trouble. That said i am unsure if the turbo was the same.

The only other thing ive had to replace is the rear shocks that i did last weekend in preperation for the mot which it flew through. The car has a tow bar and two electrical hookups so i guess its been used for caravaning. It might be a reason the bushes on the rear shocks where a little tired but at 85,000 miles perhaps that's not too bad.
I sourced KYB shocks from a local motor factors that are exactly the same as renault ones (KYB make them for renault). These cost 78 for the pair inc VAT and i fitted them myself. An easy job really just a couple of hours work.
Currently in Hover's garage:

Last edited by Hover; 16th February 2008 at 06:39 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome