Thread: M.o.t
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 14th March 2006
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 2 Times in 20 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 18
Thanked 1,103 Times in 942 Posts
Don't worry Superbiatch,I am not offended by your comments,I just thought I'd set the record straight before anyone else came in!!.

Here is the official line on retest fees;

If the vehicle is left at the test station that undertakes repairs,for repair and retest,then only a partial retest is required-NO FEE

If the vehicle is brought back to the test station and retested BEFORE the end of the next working day on one or more of the following items only:
ABS warning,Bootlid,Brake pedal antislip,Direction Indicators/hazard warning,Doors,Dropsides,Exhaust emissions,Fuel filler cap,Headlight aim,Horn,Lamps,Loading door,Mirrors,Rear reflectors,Registratio plates,Seat belts(but not anchorages),Seats,Sharp edges,Projections,Steering wheel,Tailboard,Tailgate,Vin Number,Wheels and Tyres,Windscreen washers and wipers;
Then only a partial retest is required-NO FEE
If the vehicle LEAVES the test station premises and returns for a retest on items other than those listed above the vehicle MUST be fully inspected on all testable items before a test certificate may be issued-FULL FEE
(A full test must be carried out even if a free retest is offered for marketing reasons)

I know the first part sounds like just a money making scheme for the garages,but it really is only done to protect motorists and the MOT stations.
The only way I can put this is accross is to create a scenario.
A customer brings his car in for MOT,it fails on brake performance.He takes it away,decides he needs to bleed the brake system out.He does it himself to save money,but doesn't really understand fully what he's doing.Brings it back in for retest,the station does the brake performance test,which it passes,the customer gets his certificate and he's happy.
2 hours later he's driving down the road,somebody walks out in front of him.He stands on the brakes,but the pedal goes to the floor because HE forgot to tighten up one of the bleed nipples properly,and fluid has been slowly leaking from the system.He kills the person who walked out in front of him.Who do you think would get the blame.Everyone would say that his car has only just passed an MOT and 'they said his brakes were fine!'.
It's a no win situation.

I'd rather push my Alfa than drive a BMW....
Currently in Lagdti's garage:
2004 Saab 9-5 HOT Aero and a 2001 Audi A3 1.8 Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome