Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna 1 - Fuel Tank Strap Location And Advise

View Single Post
post #24 of (permalink) Old 19th February 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I know this in an old thread but I have just been through the ordeal of a snapped bolt myself. What annoys me most about it that i HAD read this thread before I began the job! I told my self to go easy but the bolt snapped much easier than I had expected.

I think the problem is this: The bolts are much longer than the threaded part they are screwed into. This leaves the top of the bolt exposed inside the hollow cross member where it will corrode. When you start to remove it the first couple of turns will be easy enough only to get harder and harder until it snaps. Really tricky! The best method for removing the bolt is to unscrew it until it gets stuck, splash some WD40 or similar on the exposed part and screw it back in. Then screw it out until it's stuck again and repeat until the bolt is out. Takes a while but it beats drilling a broken bolt out of the cross member!

First I used a 3,5 mm drill increasing size to 4,5 and 5,5 mm - be careful not to damage the threading. In the end the leftovers of the bolt just diapered inside the hollow. Remember to use only sharp drills and change them frequently. Hope this will be of help to someone someday

BTW I gave the new straps a heavy dose of wax oil on the upper side before mounting them. Hopefully I won't need to change them again on this car.
Currently in grandtour's garage:
Laguna Grandtour 1.8 16V Concorde '99

Last edited by grandtour; 20th February 2008 at 12:06 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome