hope you can help me out with some advice on my 1999 Laguna 1.6 petrol.
I have searched the forum and am wondering if you think my problems are being caused by a faulty
sensor or something else.
My initial thoughts were a faulty starter but have had it checked in my local garage (not a Renault garage) who advised me to put it in to an auto-electrician as they could not find a mechanical fault.
The symptoms are as follows:
About 4 weeks ago my battery gave up on me (went out in morning to find it totally dead and had to reset clock and radio code).
Put a new battery in and it started but only just (turned over slowly as if battery low). Battery has been tested and is OK and charging when engine on. It has not completely run down again.
Would not start next morning but bump started on a slight incline in reverse gear.
Car will mostly not start now without a jump start although it will occasionaly.
It sometimes starts no problem after it has been sitting for a few hours but sometimes will not after only sitting switched off for a few minutes.
When it doesn't start it struggles to turn over as if the battery is low.
I have a jump starter unit which I use to start the car but strangely I do not have to switch it on. I just connect the 2 clips to the battery and turn the car key and away she goes. Noticed this when I forgot to switch it on one time and confirmed it by deliberately not switching on next time. Do these jump starters give out power when switched off?
sensor seems to be a common factor in starting problems but I don't think it fits in with my symptoms. I am still leaning towards a dodgy starter motor.
Any advice would be much appreciated.