Join Date: Feb 2008
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally got around to fitting the tow bar. The electrics were really easy - I just connected everything as for a car without RXE equipment and it's s working fine.
Fitting the bar itself was a little more difficult than expected. The bar is really heavy and not so easy to shift when lying on the garage floor under the car. I first lifted one end and supported it with my knees while I quickly bolted it to the support member that I had already installed. With that done I could lift the other end up to the other support member and attach the bolts there too.
One word of warning: The cage nuts that fits in the key hole-like apertures in the back of the bumper strips real easy! When I was doing all the bolts up with a torque wrench the very last bolt I turned was attached to one of these nuts. Long before I reached the recommended torque it started to spin and wouldn't go in or out
For a moment I feared that I had to dismantle everything but luckily I could reach the end of the bolt through a drain hole in the bumper. First I drilled the hole a little bigger, then I fixed a flange nut to a piece of wire and fed it through. After a lot of fiddling I managed to catch the bolt with the nut, put a spanner on it and got it tightened up. Job done
Currently in grandtour's garage:
Laguna Grandtour 1.8 16V Concorde '99