Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Colour coding...

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 21st February 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
If you want a nice job you need to add adhesion promoter and a flexy additive - otherwise the paint will tend to crack and fall off - nothing looks worse than a crap finish on bumpers - more like crinkly bottom. Just pray you don't get a silicon reaction either otherwise its ends up like the surface of the moon. These additives ain't cheap that's why the professionals charge plenty - they don't like doing cheapo jobs as it ain't good for their reputation = and I can't blame them.
I've never had this problem when using cellulous based paints on plastic trim (mirros door handles etc) and bumpers. The plastic tends to be ridged enough and cellulous has a certain amount of flexablity to it, but then professionals don't tend to use these types of paints. They go for epoxy based paints instead which are also very toxic, prob explains the use of additives for the use on plastics. Certain bits of trim are no good for painting in cellulous, like very flexable plastic, one example I can think of is the front splitter under the bumper on the mk1 Lag, the paint will fall off this!
Currently in Mikey's garage:
1996 Mazda MX-3 V6, a 2002 1.2 8v Fiat Punto active (the Wife's!) and a 1998 Suzuki GN 125. Used to own a 2002 Laguna II Dynamique 1.8 16V (Now Sold yey!)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome