Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Brake warning light - intermittent. Grand Scenic 2006/2.0 Dci

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 22nd June 2016
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Brake warning light - intermittent. Grand Scenic 2006/2.0 Dci

I had a similar problem with min (Renaul Megane Scenic/GGrand Scenic II/2006): At downhills or when turning left/righ abruptly the lights came on ("Braking Failure"). The issue became more frequent. Lights on and off untill they went on all the time.

After explaining the symtpoms at an authorized (Renault car dealer) garage, they charged me an hour labour (150 GBP) for the diagnosis. They did not find any problem with the braking and repeated blindly what I though an electrical problem (wires shortcircuiting due to inertia... Yes I know I overcomplicated it...) .

To continue they suggested to "unmount the dashboard and sendt it in to another workshop for an inspection.
A common problem for this make/model/year. We want to do first to eliminate tha possibility but it may not solve the problem and we take it therefrom" Cost estimate: thye equivalent of 500 GBP without any warranty that the work would solve the issue.

Another garage listened to me in my description of the symptoms. Added 2-3dl of brake fluid cost=2GBP free labour as it took less than 5 minutes (I was in front of him while he did it). Problem solved.
Further inspection showed the rear brake pads needed replacement. Everything fits with the problem and the cheap solution.

Fortunately in my case there were no leaks.

You probably already did, but since you did not mention, and wonder if you checked the break pads condition?

In my case they added about 3dl (he told me) so if you only added about 1dl it might be insufficient... but you probably checked the "Max" mark that I could not read in my car.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome