Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Speedo dial sticking... sometimes rev counter too!

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 22nd February 2008 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hi bob!

Yeah I did source another unit but that was knackered too! 20 from the scrappy and it didn't even work. Oh yes, the mileage is stored on it too and I suddenly found 124,000 miles on the car! Needless to say with a comletely dead speedo that didn't stay...

The warping theory sounds interesting though as it seems to be related to heat. Maybe the needle is getting hot and warping and pressing against the plastic see through front? Seems odd that as soon as I tap the thing it moves to it's current speed. I don't think it's an electrical problem as the actual stepper motor/servo that operates the dial is spring loaded (I took the dead one apart and checked it out). When there is no power applied, the spring drags the needle back down to 0mph - EG turn off the ignition and the needle drops. With this unit, something is clearly causing it to mechanically jam/seize because when the ignition is turned off, the needle stays where it is. As soon as I tap it, it starts dropping back so obviously the spring is still functional along with the motor but something is jamming it. I'm just not sure what to do about it as the dial unit is rather hard to open being full of torx screws which are very tight!

I'll have to take it back out again and see if I can somehow force the screws to let me in. Perhaps if I can get to the fron of the unit I can grease it up or something. Failing that I've got the old needles from the dead scrappy unit I could try if the current ones are indeed warping..
Currently in delta1066's garage:
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome