Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio - Key issues

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 23rd February 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via MSN to root-two
Originally Posted by linzi157 View Post
Is there any other way forking out 170 quid for a new keyfob when my current one only needs a new battery and for th back to come off as to solve this problem!? oh and bypassin the immobilser which my dad doesnt agree with!
It can be very difficult to get at the battery on the Clio key fobs , but it is doable - you just need a fairly strong pair of hands and a lot of patience.

Once you've got the back of the key, it may be worthwhile inspecting the circuit board inside the keyfob, as they're susceptible to cracking (PCBs go brittle with age) and this can cause intermittent immobiliser problems. Despite looking quite chunky, it seems that Clio keys really don't like being dropped.

As regards new keys, if you have the option I suggest ringing around a few of your local dealers to see what they'd charge for a new key - the key components (fob and blade) are a standard price, but the reprogramming takes half an hour and labour charges vary from garage to garage. As an example, one dealer quoted me £160 inc.VAT but another quoted me £135 - still a lot of money, but I know which I'd rather pay ...

"No performance at all is vastly preferable to an obscene travesty" - Kaikhosru Shapurji Sorabji
Currently in root-two's garage:
1999 Clio 1.2RN Grande (D7F)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome