Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Rear Nearside Light Cluster odd behaviour

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 16th March 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
If you have a multimeter handy, then take the bulb holder off the back of the cluster (I'm assuming it's of that design) and try getting a voltage reading between the earth track of the holder and a good earth with the hazard lights switched on. I'm guessing you'll get a voltage, pulsing in time with the indicators. If so, there's proof that you still have a bad earth. If you don't have a multimeter to hand, then try connecting the earth track straight to a separate, known good earthing point with a spare piece of wire (be sure to earth the right track, otherwise you'll blow a fuse) - if the fault goes away while you're doing this, then you've found the problem.

If cleaning the connectors doesn't help, I'd go for ScotchLoking an extra ground wire onto the loom as close to the connector as possible and hooking the other end to a sound earthing point (the bolts for the boot latch striking plate are usually good for this.) If that still doesn't fix it, you may have to connect an earthing wire directly to the earth track on the bulb holder. You can wedge it in place with one of the bulbs if you don't mind it being a 'bodge'.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome