Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Premium fuels-Are they worth the extra?

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 24th February 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 2 Times in 3 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 3
Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
I've tried a couple of flavours of performance diesel, and any improvements in economy have been far too marginal to justify the increase in cost. If I can stick to a steady 70 in top gear and cruise control on a good run of motorway (around 100 miles or more) then it should give a pretty good indication.

Here's what I'm getting:
BP Regular diesel: 53mpg
BP Ultimate diesel: 53mpg
Total Excellium: 53mpg

The resolution on the Lag's trip computer isn't the best, but it would certainly show up the 5% difference required to make up for the extra cost. There is the variable of headwind (there's not much I can do about that) but I even check on the GPS to make sure that I start and end the measurement at similar altitudes (believe it or not, a difference of a couple of hundred feet can show on your economy figures, even if you've travelled over 50 miles.)

I have found much the same as you Horatio over brim to brim fills.

I think you would save more mpg over a year keeping your windows closed, removing roof racks etc.

some I know swear by the improvement in their cars when run on the Premium fuels and are positive when they have changed back their cars do not run properly.

As I have mentioned earlier I have tried them in a variety of cars ( Diesel & Petrol )and have not noticed any real difference in mpg or smoothness in the cars performance.

Maybe it's a bit like snake oil if you believe it is making a difference ?
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome