Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Come on, Whats the WORST car you have ever OWNED!?

View Single Post
post #231 of (permalink) Old 25th February 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Wot View Post
Mine is looking to be my Laguna Its just died in a cloud of smoke.

By far the worse car I've had the misfortune to have anything to do with is wor lass's MGF! its only done 44k yet it's had two total engine rebuilds! Its a total Basta*d to work on as it has a small inspection cover which requires the roof to come off each time. She got it 2 years ago and to date its had

Full set of vavles
Full set of piston linings X2
Full set of pistons and connecting rods X2
Water pump
Ball joints (top and Bottom) all around
Clutch Slave and Master cylinders
Break light switch
Speedo Cable (despite the mid engine MG still fitted a 3meter cable drive!)
Rear calliper
Anti roll bar drop links X2
Full set off cooling system hoses (each one bursting at weak joints)

Plus standard wear and tear parts.

The build quality is terrible, you can see why they went bust. She must have spent twice what it cost to keep it running, but at last its days are numbered! she gets her new car next week!

The Rover K Series engine was a technical masterpiece when launched in the 80's but full of built in weaknesses meant it never built up a good reputation for reliability. I don't think they ever had enough cash spare at Rover to properly build out the flaws in the K Series. Shame.

Lotus Elise's and MGF's alike were blighted by it, as well as the Rover/MG cars and the Landie Freelander.

Now, if we're going on the worst vehicles ever driven too then it has to be a 1978 Bedford CF 230 ice cream van - terrifying brakes (drums all round), terrifying clutch and engine, terrifying steering, a terrifying drivers seat (a wooden box)... You get the idea

The Vauxhall Cavalier - one of the safest cars you'll bump into
Currently in Bob925's garage:
2015 '65 Vauxhall Astra SRi, and a variety of "lovely" buses
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome