Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Understand the Sat Nav

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th February 2008 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Understand the Sat Nav

Just thought I'd post up my findings on the Laguna II Initiale Sat Nav unit. If you don't have the big colour screen in the centre of your car, then you don't have the carminat version I am describing

Names Names Names...
From what I can make out there are a mixture of names/players involved in the final product in my Laguna. What is badged as Carminat relates directly to the VDO MS5000 series (which is now out of production).
The data sheet and user manual can be found here:
I believe originally the carminat name and brand sold out to philips, who then sold it on to VDO, but don't quote me on that. Basically look at VDO Dayton's website for the 5000 series and that'll be the same one you've got. Notice how the original sat nav cd is called Navteq, who are also players in the navigational arena, but I've found little or no information regarding the renault unit from them. I am lead to believe the Carminat system in mylag, is a pretty specific install for Renaults, as if you look at the MS5000 series, the screen is attached to the unit, for starters. Don't expect the full MS5000 manual to be the 'gospel' user guide. As mentioned, its really a re-hashed system for the Reno's and if you don't have your original manual then thats as close as you'll get.

Updates - Sat nav engine
If you're after a new version of the Sat Nav engine (not map CD) then unless you buy it on Ebay , you may well be out of luck. The later updates offer partial postcode lookup, something I'd find useful as well as a few other bits and pieces. I have tracked down 1 update, from a torrent site. But as these are controversial, i'll steer clear of that debate.
The Updates seem to have been released with the following codes: MO5076 (thats the one I found) and I also found one: MO5070. The original version I had (branded as NavTeq) was version 4.6, So I'm guessing that anything marked MO50** is version 5 and above.

I will update a little more on the software if and when my torrent downloads.

Updates - Maps
If you're like me, you got a 2003 IRE & UK map cd with your car. I prefer not to go driving through fields and like, so i hunted for an updated map CD. Easy enough to find on EBay - although most are not originals - are you bothered?
Just stick the new CD in the glove box CD unit and you should be going strong. Searching for VDO CD on an EBay search produced plenty of results.

RED Satellite
True to form a 4 year old Laguna with all the electrical gadgetry that mine has, will fail, at some point.
The first thing I noticed was the distinct RED satellite icon which would never go green. Without a manual, I put two and two together to conclude that RED is usually bad. Plenty of research on the issue and a few questions asked, it is now resolved. How????
Well, I gathered from navigating the map CD that I could hear it spinning and access times were pretty sharp, so I guess that rules out the CD unit. I undid the carpet above the footwell in the passenger side and pulled out the furthest wire (to the right) attached into the back of the CD unit. This showed an SMB female connector on the end of some wire heading up in to the centre console. This particular wire is the feed to the GPS shark fin on the roof. Searching on this forum, shows it to be a problematic piece of marine life and it was promptly replaced with another GPS antenna from EBay . When you're searching, you only need the antenna/aerial and just make sure it has an SMB Female connector. Some sellers offer the chance to get an SMB female connector on a 90 degree angle, if so, these are best, but not essential.
Wait for the postman to arrive and test it out by having it loose but positioned on the dash, give the old girl a few minutes and it should go green.

For info, I was quoted 70 from renault for a new fin. also be aware that the fin is not wired directly to the dash, it is in the rear quarter panel and is a pain in the ar$e to get at - for a tener, get a replacement antenna from EBay .

Code 4122
Now, before i conducted the carpet removal and replacement antenna, I double checked that it was in fact a reported error on the menu system on the satnav. Not that I'd trust it anyway, but I went into the diagnostic section and entered the code 4122. I then checked the GPS signal data which showed: REC_ERR (or similar) which for me, was good enough a reason to buy another antenna for a tener! when you've put your replacement antenna in, check the signal strength again and it should greet you with the number of satellites available.

Another annoying problem is the RED cd icon. occassionaly when driving along, the cd icon will change from green to red and whilst the satellite icon stays lit and the map progresses along a lateral course, the map shows me -after a mile or so - way off course. Eventually it will catch up, turn green and we're something like. listening to my CD unit, some of the noises it produces are unhealthy. I can only imagine the reading capacity of the unit is near end of life - given its been reading disks practically constantly since construction 4 years ago. I'm going to take the unit apart shortly and will report anything unusual back on this thread.

Please feel free to add more info if you have it, these are only my findings so far - I will update further, at a later date.

**woops, title spelt wrong** can someone correct?
Currently in stolen_monkey's garage:
2003 Laguna II Sport Tourer Initiale 1.9DCI

Last edited by stolen_monkey; 25th February 2008 at 06:10 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by stolen_monkey
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio (or any similar!) Sat nav Wiring info Electronics stolen_monkey 3 2567 23rd February 2012 09:42 AM
laguna 1.9DCI gear oil Fill Amount Engines Eeeps 9 4201 12th March 2008 07:56 PM
Laguna wing mirror & electric window - loom? Electronics Eeeps 3 2783 11th March 2008 01:12 PM
Laguna DCI Low Boost No turbo! Engines bpowell555 21 8456 10th March 2008 05:16 PM
How To Replace Laguna 2 PK6 Gearbox Bearings Transmissions beebizz 95 124608 9th March 2008 05:05 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome