Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Would you buy a Renault, after reading this???.. (The moaners thread)..

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12th August 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
For my money, it's not what goes wrong, it's how the dealer reacts when it does. Though my current car is stretching it a bit: I'm far too well known at two separate dealers (the one I usually use near work, and the local one that I use if the car won't make it that far.)

But the two Renault dealers I normally use for service and repairs have been some of the best I've come across. They're not consistently brilliant, but they usually get the job done more or less when they say they're going to do it. The only trick I've learned with my usual dealer is that if I want the car back for 4, I ask for it to be ready for 2:30. If I don't, then it's often still buried at the back of the workshop when I go to pick it up.

Only Mazda have ever beaten them on service. I'd have been tempted to go for a '6', but the dealer I used to use has shut down, so Mazda would be an unknown quantity again. My experience with Ford (admittedly on an older car) left me unprepared to buy another one, no matter how much I like the new Mondeo. As for Vauxhall: I spent three years trying to find a dealer that didn't call me a liar when it came to intermittent faults. When I eventually found one (a family run business, out of my way but competent) it got taken over by one of the big chains a few months later. One Vauxhall dealer (who shall remain nameless) serviced my car at the recommended 9K intervals, then said it was my fault that the original timing belt snapped at 63K. Apparently, it was up to me to ask them to change it at the 36K service.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome