Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane mk3, bent impact bar after a rear end impact.

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 4th July 2016
Diamond member
Nominated 6 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Exclamation Re: Megane mk3, bent impact bar after a rear end impact.

Originally Posted by skunkwerx View Post
Hello all.

Had some idiot tailgate me for a mile before ploughing into the back of me.

Apart from a dented and creased rear bumper, a few chips, a misaligned tail light and bumper on one side and a licence plate light that only works when I hit it, the exterior doesn't seem too bad. Still enough damage done to vex me, and the general standards of driving around here and lack of care, even more so!

Anyway, I was having a look under the rear bumper to see what I could see and I think (I'm no mechanic) that the impact bar/bumper reinforcement bar has been bent.

Could anyone confirm for me please?

I imagine if it is bent, that if someone rear ends me again, the bar wouldn't be able to take as much impact now, and therefore the damage will be worse to the rest of the car?

Should I be looking for any further damage that could have been caused that may not be immediately and obviously visible? Ie. any twists or warps to the cars chassis etc?

Finally, anyone know roughly how much a garage might charge for a rear bumper reinforcement/impact bar fix/change?

Hopefully the picture uploads!

Thanks guys n girls.
most bumper covers are now just plastic skins and will flex back out -they no longer have foam inserts. The bumper bar is there as part of the crumple zone - and will transfer impact to rear chassis leg and quarter panel crumple zones. Car are designed to crumple progressively to save you and reduce injuries and hence a minor shunt can write of a car... YOU must have car checked by a Insurance approved body shop in case there is UNSEEN damage.
Currently in Nexxusone's garage:
2005 Grand Scenic 1.6 VVT Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome