Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - mobile tyre fitter

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 26th February 2008
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
At 10 a wheel for fitting and balancing that's why I don't buy tyres directly on line - by the time you add the cost of carriage and then fitting and balancing the overall price isn't cost effective. Plus if there is a problem with a tyre you may not have a comeback to the supplier because they could always argue poor fitting was a problem. Is's best to use a one-stop-shop principle as it generaly works out cheaper in the long run.
I totally agree. Have bought bargain tyres on line (from reputable companies) but by the time I have dealt with short deliveries, putting them in the back of the car, paying another 40 for fitting/balancing/disposal of old ones I have not saved anything. And as madnoel10 says if there is a problem then it is real aggro.

Modern tyres and wheels cannot be statically balanced. It needs to be done on a dynamic balancer because the static method will not tell you if the weight needs to go on the inside or outside of the rim. In the old days of narrow steel rims it didn't matter much but as rims got wider and have greater off-sets then the weight is much further from the bearing axis and, as most of us usually go faster than 25MPH on occasion , this can cause damage in the long term.
Currently in Gasjunkie's garage:
Renault Laguna Executive 3.0l 24V V6 Auto
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome