Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane mk3, bent impact bar after a rear end impact.

View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 5th July 2016
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
Re: Megane mk3, bent impact bar after a rear end impact.

I can fully understand the OP not wishing to g down the route of claiming through his own insurance.

I hope that it can be claimed via the offending driver's insurance though, that way the repair can be done, without cutting corners.

Having looked at the picture (which is a bit limiting), I would say that the bar did it's job, and doesn't look to have buckled excessively. Based on that, I would say it's less likely that the damage has buckled the floorpan/chassis, and that the bumper being misaligned, is more likely due to plastic retaining clips either bursting, or popping apart.

The simplest way to check is to take measurements from the left/middle/right of a part (rear axle) to the corresponding part within the wheelbase (i.e. within the passenger safety cell).

If all is well, then a secondhand crash bar and either a repaired or secondhand bumper in the correct colour, can be fitted.

If you were speaking of a difficulty in opening/closing the tailgate, that would be a red-flag of some serious distortion, but since you haven't, I would presume that there isn't.

Also, if the car has a spare wheel-well, that would also be an area to check for distortion.

I've been rear-ended before (in a month-old car), and have on another occasion been left to self-repair my car, when given false details, so I wish you well, whichever route this repair proceeds.

If you need any tips, or advice, please don't hesitate to ask.

Keep us updated.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome