Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II Initiale Specifications

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12th August 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by SportTourer
That's why I put down approx figures because of the different variations, but the figures appear to be similar.

Also 0-60 times are not important really, its torque and at what revs that torque is developed that matters.
Boy racers like high revving 16v petrol engines where max torque is near 5000rpm.
Diesels love low down grunt at 2000rpm.
I'm well out of the boy racer category, but I'll still take peak power over peak torque unless I'm towing. Okay, so you have to go most of the way to the red-line to get the most from the engine, but it's still there when you want it, and I can drop to 3rd at anything below 90 and 2nd at anything below 60 if I really need the oomph. I just wish the 2.0 IDE 's rev limiter was a bit more predictable. I can understand it kicking in lower when it's cold, but it's rather annoying when it sometimes hits at below 6000rpm with the engine nicely warm, while at other times it'll go most of the way to 6500 without hesitation. I don't always hammer it like this, but it's nice to have the option when needed.

When it comes to towing, the 2.0IDE is pretty good for a petrol engine - it has a fairly flat torque curve, and really doesn't struggle (though it does drink the juice.)

I'm only really going for diesel this time round for tax reasons. The current taxation system means that you can kiss goodbye to your entire tax allowance if you want to run a decent spec, family sized, reasonably powered petrol company car. Still, they're levelling the playing field as of January - typically, they're not making it any cheaper to have a petrol, they're just making it more expensive to run a diesel. But if you get your car registered before the January 1 deadline, you get to keep the tax discount for as long as you have the car, and I'll be keeping this one for four years.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome