Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - please help!

Thread: please help!
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12th August 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I can confirm that the connectors on the Laguna are standard ISO's, so I'd be very surprised if the Megane ones are any different. I just fitted the permanent mount for my TomTom GO, and it intercepts the connectors to the stereo for power and so that it can mute the radio and use the front speakers for voice instructions and handsfree. It has standard ISO plugs and sockets, and they fitted the Laguna stereo and wiring perfectly. The only problem was that ignition live was on the wrong pin, but the TomTom wiring harness can be adjusted to cater for this.

Interfaces will almost certainly be needed if you want the car's built in display and remote to still work. The last time I fitted my own head unit (in my '95 Laguna RXE) I didn't bother. I vaguely recall having to buy an adapter to get the aerial to fit - the Renault connector was different to the one on the back of the Kenwood unit that I was fitting.

I normally kick people who say things like this, but can't help thinking it: If you need to ask, then you're probably better off getting the job done professionally. It should be a 'straight in, straight out' kind of job, but is often complicated by over-tight wiring (that doesn't give you much room to manoeuvre once the unit is out) and the wiring's tendency to ruck up behind the head unit and stop it from sliding back into place properly. I'm no stranger to wiring up accessories on cars, but every time I do a stereo, I end up with a banging headache and wishing I'd got somebody else to do it. This is especially true if you're putting a CD changer in the boot - running the changer cable from behind the dash to the rear of the car can be a nightmare.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome