Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane 1 Immobiliser Plip Broken

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 27th February 2008 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
A quick round up of my solution:

I phoned 2 dealers and got told 60-70 for a new key, and either 20 or 120 to code it to the car. they also said I'd need to take the log book in as proof of ownership. The cheaper of the 2 said to bring the key in as they might be able to solder it for me. they also said they'd give me the immobiliser code for free (20 from the other dealer)

I happenned to be in Scotland yesterday and passing a renault dealer, so I went in and explained the situation. They gave me the immobiliser code for free, with no ID, and told me how to enter it.

I then took the electronics out of the key, pointed it at my webcam to check which way round it should go, and soldered it back into the board. There was just enough leg left on the LED to be able to bend them in through the holes on the board.

Now it all works fine, and I saved myself about 100.

Now when I find the spare key, which has never operated the immobiliser, I'll take that apart too, as I suspect it's got the same problem.

Another interesting point - the flat on the iR LED from the plip is on the opposite side to other LEDs. Usually the flat side indicates the cathode, but it's the opposite.

Thanks to everyone who replied for their advice.
Currently in NickPick's garage:
1997 Renault Megane Classic 2.0 RXE, but still prefers his old Audi Coupe and Lancia Delta HF Turbos.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome