Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - how much power can my alternator handle?

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 28th February 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
I'm currently running 2 amps with a total of 1000 watts on a standard alternator in my lag with no problems, the lights to dim a little when the music is turned up but nothing major.
There are a few solutions, changing the wiring won't solve the problem and the same amount of current is going to be pulled by the amp throug what ever wire you use.
1. you could change the battery for a higher amp one, a dry cell red or yellow top are best for ICE installs.
2. Upgrade your alternator
3. Install a power cap. (A large capacitor say 1 - 2 fraud, this will store power and take the strain off the battery/alternator)

The power cap is the cheaper option as you can pick a good one up for about 50, this should sort out your diming headlight probs.
Here is a link to a site selling power caps so you can see what I'm talking about.

Hope this helps
Currently in Mikey's garage:
1996 Mazda MX-3 V6, a 2002 1.2 8v Fiat Punto active (the Wife's!) and a 1998 Suzuki GN 125. Used to own a 2002 Laguna II Dynamique 1.8 16V (Now Sold yey!)

Last edited by Mikey; 28th February 2008 at 09:40 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome