Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - how much power can my alternator handle?

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 28th February 2008
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
My amps are totaling 950 watts RMS. I don't currently have a powercap either but do plan on getting one.

I've seen power caps in action and they seem to cope well with the faster dance tracks. It takes allot to discharge a cap as they hold allot of power, but if your worried about that just get a bigger one say a 2 fraud and you should be fine. I remember reading some where recomending using 0.5 fraud for every 400 watts rms.
A friend of mine was running 3 amps totaling 1200watts RMS from his 1.4 MkII astra, he changed the battery for a red top dry cell but his lights still dimmed even at low volume, he installed a 1.5 fraud power cap and the problem went away. He likes his trance and techno. Very fast beats on most tracks! I'm into dance stuff too!!

I'd use the thickest wire you have from the battery to the distribution block, I can't remember what gauge wire can handle what wattage amp but the thicker the better. Yes you should be ok using a thinner wire from the block to the amp.
Currently in Mikey's garage:
1996 Mazda MX-3 V6, a 2002 1.2 8v Fiat Punto active (the Wife's!) and a 1998 Suzuki GN 125. Used to own a 2002 Laguna II Dynamique 1.8 16V (Now Sold yey!)

Last edited by Mikey; 28th February 2008 at 12:33 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome